Tuesday 1 March 2011

Ecology


I am taking an EcoFeminism class this semester that has opened my eyes to a new way of living.
But first, I need to let you know how I once was, for you to fully understand how much this class has changed me.

When I walked into this class, I originally thought that I was going to have an issue, and possibly have to drop the
class due to lack of interest. And then I read the discussion of Ecofeminism, which is defined as a social and political view
and movement in which points to the existence of considerable common ground between environmentalism and feminism, with some currents linking deep ecology and feminism. Being a Women's Studies Major I figured I should stick around, stick it out and take the upper level class. We started off by reading Rachel Carson's Silent Spring. Which outlined the issues and side effects of using pesticides. It is amazing to me that the federal government funded (and still does) nation wide pesticide spraying, which has been linked to cancer, and many other illnesses.

I am now working on a project about Lois Gibbs, and Love Canal. This average house wife changed the world by standing up for her and her neighbors rights to live safely, and not on a toxic dump sight.

These amazing women, and many more have and continue to fight for the rights of not only nature, but humans to live.

We need to remember that we live on this planet, the planet doesn't need us.

No comments:

Post a Comment