Sunday 27 March 2011

The Kite Runner

Over the weekend my friends and I watched a movie called the Kite Runner. The movie was based on the book Kite Runner and was released in 2007. This was my first time actually watching the movie and I did not read the book but I heard it was a good one. I’m not going to go into details about what the movie was about but I do want to talk about what bothered me the most during the movie. There are two boys who are best friends. One is rich (Amir) and the other is his servant (Hassan). The two boys always played together and were teammates when they flew kites. Hassan always had Amir’s back because Amir was a coward and wouldn’t stand up for himself. One day they were in a kite competition and they had to cut the kites of other players down to be considered the winner. Amir won and Hassan went to run down the kite for him. Amir noticed he was taking too long to return so he went looking for him. Amir found Hassan being cornered by three bullies that they had confrontation earlier in the movie. They were trying to get the kite from him and he refused to do so. (The kite represents his achievement of winning the competition). Hassan was very loyal to Amir and would not betray him even if he had to sacrifice his own life. At first I just thought they were going to beat him up but they ended up raping him. This was heartbreaking because the whole time Amir kept a distance and watched them do this to his friend. He didn’t try to save him; he allowed this to happen to him, he didn’t even go to get help he just run away and sat on a set of stairs like nothing happened. This made me infuriated because if this is your best friend how can you sit there and watch it happen and do ABSOLUTELTY NOTHING. I felt so bad for Hassan because he didn’t deserve that and he was so loyal to Amir and Amir wasn’t loyal to him at all. Honestly I would have just given the bullies the kite. I’m sure Hassan didn’t know that they were going to do that to him. He had to live with that for the rest of his life. Neither one of them told anyone. That’s a heavy burden to keep on your shoulders. The guy who actually rapped him had to be in his teens and it made me sick to my stomach that at this age you are worry about rapping a 10 year old BOY!!! I know it’s just a movie BUT it’s more disturbing that this happens in real life.

No comments:

Post a Comment