Wednesday 30 March 2011

PiNk Collar Work continued...

I was 17, it was Valentines day and I was fighting with my boyfriend. I thought we were done for good so instead of going shopping or making a dramatic hair change like any other girl, I figured new life - new job. I was working at small pizzeria at the time making no money. So I went driving around and saw a huge sign saying NOW HIRING at Applebees. I do not know why or if I am the only young girl who thought this, but I always wanted to be a waitress. I thought it was sooo cool for some reason. HAHA ...I laugh at myself now. So I walked into Apple bees and picked up an application. I spoke to one of the employees Brittney who I admired so much because she was mature, blonde ( like I was ), and of course a waitress which I thought was supercool. I just wanted to be like her! So things worked out between my boyfriend and I but I also got the job. Since I was 17 I started off as a Car-side to go employee. Before you know it I was doing whatever I could to start serving. LET me tell you how difficult and how prestigious Apple bees makes Serving tables out to be. I just laugh about it now because the competition was like we were fighting eachother for the position of CEO in a corporate office. Back-stabbing, shit-talking, you name it we did it. I am talking about my fellow Car-Side to go and host employees who also would have dyed to become a Server. Anway of course it eventually happened and before I knew it I was working 4o hours a week and going to school full-time. Now at my new job I work less and make more. At the age of twenty I have to let go my "pink collar job" for a full-time paid internship this summer. Since I just recently became Yoga Instructor certified, I plan to find a job doing that when the summer is up. Thank goodnessss there is more to life then becoming a server at Applebees haha , it still makes me grin. BYE BYE pink collar ..Hopefully forever but I won't put all bets on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment