Monday 21 March 2011

internet privacy

So I have been thinking about what kinds of privacy settings we have available online. Specifically, I was thinking about the three forms of social media that I have participated in; myspace, facebook, and twitter. To be as general as possible, I think that as time goes on, there is more opportunity to be vulnerable to invasion of privacy. But at the same time, people are becoming more knowlegable about this situation and are taking action.

I remember that when I had my myspace, I was as candid as possible. I never took any caution when posting things online. I filled out those pointless survey things and whatnot. I think that at the time, I was probably in 9th or 10th grade. I was very ignorant when it came to knowing what I should make available online. I probably just never thought that information that I posted could get out. To add to that, it was my first form of social media so I was probably exited to post things whenever I had the chance.

As time went on though, facebook and eventually twitter became available. I think that these two forms of social media allow you to be more candid and in essence, lose more privacy. But for me personally, I know that the trend is reversed. I have become more aware of things that I post on facebook and twitter. I keep a lot of privacy settings online; pretty much only communicating with people I know. And with twitter, the stereotype behind it is that people post what they do and where they are 24/7. But in reality, its not like that at all for most people. I pretty much use it to share ideas and get other's ideas. It's definitely more of an information network for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment