Monday 28 March 2011

Making Music


My whole life i've loved music. singing and dancing and listening to the radio were always some of my favorite activities. One thing that i never really was into was making music. my parents never forced me to learn an instrument so i was never exposed outside of basic music in elementary school. About a year and a half ago i started dating the most amazing guy in the world Jackson. He does not sing or dance but makes his own original music on physical instruments as well as digitally created music. (we complement each other very well :) ) since the beginning of the first semester i have had access to the beautiful Steinway & Sons piano in the staller center and have been practicing on my suitemate's keyboard. though i am progressing with playing piano music on the piano, i have yet to get into digitally created music.

For an assignment we were told to mess around with Sony ACID or it's Mac equivalent Garage Band. i had some idea of what to expect from the demo we got in class and watching Jackson mess with another music program called ReBirth, which looks a lot more complicated then ACID/ Garage Band. Over the weekend i sat down and started working on ACID to create my own song (or at least try to) I quickly figured out that i was no Daft punk and had to really focus on how i was going to start this project. After failing to figure out how to add my own audio i decided i'd do the next best thing and mash a couple of songs together to make it my own. After a while of splicing together a few of my favorite songs i cam up with 52 seconds of song!!! it's a funny mash up because of the sound effects i used and such.

Overall i would say that making music especially digital, is fun but takes a lot more time then i thought. today's music is pretty repetitive so i guess it's harder to write lyrics for a continuous beat then create a unique beat/ mash up. i have a lot more respect for people who can create interesting and fun music I hope to add more onto my little franken-song as time goes on. I also would not mind making another song with a different feel to it!!

Songs in my Mash up:
What planet you on - Bodyrox ft. Luciana (Deadmau5 vocal remix)
Still Alive - Portal song
4/4/5/4- Irapotato and some kid named Butterly
All my Ex's live in Texas- George Strait
Fucked from above 1985- The Bloody Beetroots ft Sky Ferreira
Ghost- Michael Jackson
The hamster dance song -Hampton the Hamster


No comments:

Post a Comment