Monday 21 March 2011

Common Courtesy

As the time for me to branch off in life to pursue a family and living space of my own there's a need to recollect. In our last lecture there was a discussion about a parents willingness to left a child's girlfriend or boyfriend sleep over in their house. I personally know that this would never happen in my household but the discussion did get me to think. I began to question if a parents decision to quickly eliminate the idea of their child's girlfriend or boyfriend to stay overnight is entirely fair. I believe there should be a certain criteria for the stay but it should be considered.

As we're all aware the baby boomer generation is beginning to increase in age which means many of their children are at an age where they're just branching off from the immediate family. With that generation aging, there will soon come a time when a decision to place parents in a nursing home or do what many do and allow their parents to move in with them. If the decision is made to do latter will there be a sense of recollection on the part of the child whose parent(s) are looking to move in with him/her. Will he/she recollect to a time when they asked if their girlfriend/boyfriend and now wife/husband could simply stay the night, only to be met with a swift no. Should they hold their parent to the same regard even though they aren't asking to stay the night, they're asking to stay every night.

I personally know if my parent asked to stay with i'd have no problem with it. This is because my parent has made numerous sacrifices for me so a chance to return the actions i would. I also know many parents unwillingness to let someone their child is dating stay overnight has to do with their own upbringing. I feel times change and we seldom make decisions with future in mind. If I have the opportunity to live long enough I feel I'd allow a girlfriend/boyfriend of my child to stay overnight under strict conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment