Sunday 20 March 2011

Pregnant Robot.....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAzmC0uYKAY&feature=player_embedded#at=109

Okay, this makes me sad. Is this really the best way to approach birth? I really feel like a piece of meat.. or in this case plastic... like a robot can tell doctors how a woman experiences labor. I understand this is a teaching tool but they just reduced women down to plastic basically. Maybe having prospective doctors (+ me eventually) observe and assist in births (with real women!) is the better way to go... I'm lying.. it is the best way to go. Even something like pain. How can a robot tell you when something hurts? You need to know that during delivery.

I took a doula class last spring so I learned a lot about natural childbirth so this is really scary for me... the robot not the natural child birth. I saw A LOT of births in that class from different countries and using different methods. I guess people sometimes forget women have been doing this for A LONG TIME. And we've done a pretty good job so far, sometimes we need a little help but for the most part... we're good. Go away and let us do our thing. Sticking your hands where they don't belong really isn't necessary.

This reminded me of the cpr dummies you have to practice on to get your certification. But people that are in need or cpr move around a lot less than pregnant women. So birth has been reduced to the same level? Have you ever seen a woman that just lays there during vaginal birth? (Not counting the twilight sleep of past... if you don't know what that it, please look it up). No one lays there! It's not realistic! Now according to this, the "doctor" delivers the baby instead of the mother and she just lays there... thanks... seriously. Saving this poor baby from it's mother.


I feel violated.. I've been reduced to a piece of plastic... a scientific equation... a series of algorithms.

No comments:

Post a Comment