Monday 21 March 2011

Aaron D. Neufeld- Blog #24

BLOG POST #24- Jamaica Airtrain People

As I stated in my previous post, as I wait for my train to arrive at Jaimaica station every Monday morning to take me back to Stony Brook where I spend my week, I linger around in the Airtrain terminal where people mull around with their coffee and newspapers as they too await the arrival of their train. I often do some work but other times I like to people watch.

So many people come through the Airtrain terminal. People of every race and ethnicity walk by in all directions. Some are just waiting around for their train. Others are heading to the street for taxis. More are arriving from the elevators to take the Airtrain to John F. Kennedy Airport and others are coming back from the airport and heading home. I like to gaze upon the people as they walk to and fro. There are so many different types of people walking through. People wear all different types of clothing, dressed for every season, which can sometimes help in determining where they came from. Mothers and daughters give each other long hugs and fight back tears as child crosses over to take the Airtrain while the parents stay behind. Other families reunite as loved ones appear and run to greet their awaiting family members in a big embrace. Some people scurry quickly through the terminal in the direction of their train, worried they may miss it and have to wait a whole five minutes for the next one, and even more people walk around bewildered in the unfamiliar environment looking for assistance in where to find trains to New York City.

It is all very fun and interesting to watch. It makes you think about how many people really come to New York from all across the globe. Rich, poor, foreign, native, young and old—there are people from every walk of life coming through this terminal on a Monday morning. Most people ignore everyone else, but just looking up for a few minutes to observe your surroundings can give you a fresh perspective on things.

No comments:

Post a Comment