Sunday 27 March 2011

Cheating is a socialized taboo



One of the biggest issues that arise in young couples is cheating. When I say young I am refering to ages 15-22 give or take. I assume that after 22 someone is looking for a relationship that will eventually lead to marriage. Most young people fight and break-up over cheating or the threat of cheating. Most young couples fight over text messages/calls/facebook posts from the opposite sex. Why are we so worried that the one we love will "betray" us by cheating? I will tell you why..because we are YOUNG and in our prime. We should be allowed to wonder what it would be like with someone esle because young relationships is about finding what you want for a future spouse. I am not an advocate of cheating, I just believe that young relationships should be set up differently. We are socialized to believe that when you commit to a person you are bound to them and only them for that amount of time and if you go out of your boundrys you are unfaithful and a bad person. I think that us young people should date. I am not saying lie to your partner and see others behind their back, but young relationships should be open. It would prevent alot of people from being hurt and if you really love someone you can become serious at a later time and form an exclusive relationship. We are trained to be hurt if our other decides to pursue someone esle, but what if it was acceptable and everyone in society had a "young relationship" and you could speak about that person saying..I think one day he is the one I will be monogous with.. or .. I am still looking. It would save alot of dreadful breakups and fights.
Take someone like myself who has been with my boyfriend for 5, almost 6 years. We started dating our junior year of high school! We both cheated the first year of college and it was heartbreaking. We broke up for a little while and ended up back together. I love him to death but I still wonder what it would be like to be on my own or even to date someone esle. We are really good together and I could see myself with him in my future but I dont want to have to "wonder". All I am saying is now would of been a good time to start getting serious with him.. not when i was 17! The whole system should be redesigned.

No comments:

Post a Comment