Monday 28 February 2011

Televised Trouble

I’m starting to get really annoyed with cablevision’s trend of charging more money for fewer channels in their basic package. I’m left with a bunch of channels that I never watch, while the few network that I do like are disappearing. How are you going to make me upgrade to a new package to get back the content that I was already paying for? I’d like to try a different provider, but I’m not sure what I find will be much better. A recent Dish network commercial went along the lines of: “Don’t you wish you could choose what channels you pay for individually? Well other providers won’t let you do that…. And neither will we. But our packages are slightly more specific than theirs are.” This is terrible advertisement! What kind of company poses a problem that consumers are having and then proposes an “almost” solution? Is it really that impossible to let me choose channels one by one? Is it an issue with the networks themselves? The somewhat recent rate increase controversy that caused FOX to temporarily pull it’s programming from cablevision is certainly proof of the power a network can wield. One more complaint about television service: How are you going to charge for DVR service?
Isn’t the DVR a piece of hardware that records the programming I’m already paying for? You wouldn’t try to charge me for recording on a VCR. I’ve been recording TV digitally long before DVR service was available through the use of a TV-Tuner card in my PC, no one tried to charge me for that. All you need for a DVR is a tuner and a hard drive, you don’t need any “service”!

No comments:

Post a Comment