Sunday 27 February 2011

Grid vs Group

We had this discussion in class the other day and I had some thoughts about. I think for me it would definitely be high grid. I think it is human nature to want to see how far we can go. To test our limits and find out for ourselves our capabilities. If you don't go out and do this, you will never know. If I had a choice between leaving my friends/family for a job far away and staying in my hometown, I would leave. I cannot speak for others but myself I need to find my place in the world. There is always a question " What can I do with these two hands?"
In one of my favorite mangas "Bambino!" , this theme is evident. It is about a college student who worked at a restaurant in his hometown. He is overconfident in his abilities because he lived a sheltered life. However when he goes to Tokyo to work he realizes that in fact he is still a beginner and how tough the road to becoming a pro chef actually is. It is extremely hard for him but he wouldn't give up. He quits college and breaks up with his girlfriend to pursue this dream. He sacrificed group for grid. It is because an almost impossible hurdle has set up in front of him and he is determined to climb that hurdle or to see if he can. I think everyone wants to see what they are worth as an individual. One of the quotes I like from the manga is "One is not simply born a man, he must become one" and I think that's what it really comes down to.

No comments:

Post a Comment