Sunday 27 February 2011

The Cool and Strange Wonders of Technology

I found two interesting articles on how technology is being used further than its conventional means.

The first one is a Samurai CGI shadow fighting performance called “Sword Dance and Shadowgraph”, in Tokyo Japan, at the Galaxy Theater by Taichi Saotome. The title itself already caught my eyes and watching the video made my mind go ‘wow that’s really cool!” This was a one man show as Saotome played the live action part of a samurai, armed with a katana and coming in contact with shadow like enemies ranging from what looks like a storm of cherry blossom petals and then a shadow figure of himself on a screen behind him. Every movement he and the animations made was choreographed to perfection from the way he defects an attack from the diving cloud or his one-on-one battle with his own self. It really does look like him! I really would like to know what kind of mechanics and programs they use to create this action sequence.

Youtube link! - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmlkmVoPuQA&feature=player_embedded

The second one is how you can control a game by kissing passionately. Of course when I first saw the title I could only laugh and say now it is getting a ridiculous. Seriously, kissing?! I had to see for myself and checked out the video (http://vimeo.com/20119651) and it still baffles me. The couple that was part of the experiment controls the direction and speeds of the bowling ball by French kissing, with a magnet and a headset. Goal is to get the ball to roll towards the center of the alley and increase the speed of the ball – I’ll let you guys imagine how that works. While this is an experiment created by Hye Yeon Nam, it can take off into a new genre in gaming for getting their significant other into a game in the near future. But until then, everyone will be enjoying the recently released Nintendo 3DS and its 3Dness.

No comments:

Post a Comment