Monday 28 February 2011

expectations never met

I have a skewed perception of love due to excessive movie and show watching. None of my relationships have ever been close to ideal. There’s an image I’ll create and strive to achieve that never seems to fall in place. I have these unrealistic expectations I keep wanting to experience, knowing they’re simply romanticized Hollywood ideals. We all want that sultry TV-show encounters, where eyes meet and souls intertwine. Dialogue is always perfect and the ambiance is sexy. Butterflies should fly through your stomach in this moment where nothing else matters.

But this never happens. Relationships are always portrayed with a foundation of undeniable love. But what is love? It’s not just the attraction one has for the other… Is it acceptance of who they are, despite your differences? Is it the desire to devote all you emotions and efforts in one person? One could do everything in their power for the other, be fully devoted and accepting, yet the relationship could easily fail. What about feeling uncontrollable sexual desires for someone? It could just be completely physical and emotionless, no love there. So, what is love? What is a normal relationship supposed to be like?

TV and movies portray sex as steamy, crazy, most-amazing-experience-ever. But is it ever really like that in real life? Things seem awkward or nerve-wrecking. It’s never as good as in the movies. The crazy acrobatic moves, risky behaviors, rough play with one anothers’ bodies… those things never seem to happen. Sex never seems to meet the standards of TV and movies.

Sure, maybe it’s just because I haven’t met the right person that I would view love, sex and relationships in that matter. But I honestly think, as a CCS major and aspiring film editor, it’s my excessive watching of shows and movies that will forever hinder my expectations of love and intimacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment