Tuesday 26 April 2011

Traditional Chinese vs American Chinese Cultures

Do Chinese mothers make their kids eat everything on their plates?

Answering from a Chinese American's perspective, I would say yes. My mom is lenient but she makes me finish everything in front of me at every meal especially RICE. She stresses the value of food and that we shouldn't waste it.

The actual answer is...in China, finishing everything on your plate is considered rude because somebody might think you didn't get enough food and you're still hungry. WHAT KIND OF NONSENSE ANSWER IS THIS? In any case, I think this is stupid because finishing everything on your plate doesn't always mean that you are still hungry. It can also mean that you really enjoyed the meal or that you don't like wasting food. I never heard of it being rude for someone to finish everything on their plates...if anything it's being POLITE.

No comments:

Post a Comment