Tuesday 26 April 2011

Getting into a new routine

So after many months off from the gym due to break-up, being homeless and couching surfing for awhile, moving three times within three months, starting an internship and landing a new job, finding time for the gym has been hard. I’ve basically started a brand new life starting the last few days of December. I couldn’t have seen my life becoming what it has today. But getting back to the gym.
I signed up for a cheap one-year membership at a local gym by my apt. It’s a pretty crappy gym that overcrowded, but the location and price makes it convenient. I’ve been making it a priority to go to the gym every day, regardless of whatever other activities I’m supposed to engage in. I’ve blown off friend’s birthday party as well as dinner plans just to get work-outs in. I keep a log of my daily work-outs, and seeing progress in lifting statistics makes me happy. I’ve already lost a lot of strength from slacking for months on end. I gained back a lot of fat and finally losing it again makes a lot of difference.
Back to cooking more often and eating much cleaner foods again. I’m tracking my daily calories again, well estimating for now until I go out and buy a food scale. It’s a pain in the ass, but makes a world of a difference using a food scale. Portion sizes would surprise a lot of people. I’m also happy to be living with my sister now because we go to the gym together. She’s gained a lot of weight over the last few years from stress and emotionally eating. She’s come to me with concerns, and I’ve tried to help her, but she barely took my advice. Now living together, we often cook for each other and her food selections from the grocery store have changed drastically. I drag her to the gym whenever I can and coach her in the gym. It’s become a great bonding experience as we used to always fight growing up. We haven’t gotten into a single fight since I’ve moved in. It’s nice to have my sister as a friend now.

No comments:

Post a Comment