Tuesday 26 April 2011

maturing and developing relationships

My sister and I have had an interesting history. We have an eight year age difference which has always set us in very different times of our lives growing up. This resulted in lots of fights and never getting along through all my childhood. When I was an angsty, rebellious teenager she was in college or have graduated and had matured. We were always at different mentalities and developing a relationship was impossible.
On the contrary though, my brother and I who are eleven years apart got along great. He was my best friend and his leaving for college was one of the most devastating events of my life. I couldn’t be happier when my sister went away to college. It was never one of those sibling relationships where you knew the other had your back. Instead, we had to watch out for each other.
I guess because of the fact I’ve grown up, we are able to get along now and live in harmony. Age and maturity changes a relationship. We’re able to not only live together without fighting and arguing, we actually choose to spend time together. We chit chat about events and what we did last night and work. I’m able to open up to her about concerns. Our going to the gym together and cooking for one another helps as well. We have different lives and varying interests. Heck, we refuse to even be friends with each other on Facebook because we like our lives separate. We’ve come to terms that there’s not need for us to share all the details of our lives with each other. And I think it’s turned into a great relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment