Tuesday 26 April 2011

career choices?

Rethinking career choice. I’ve started my new job as an office personal assistant/production coordinator and part-time editor at a production company. It’s been about 20-days into the new job, as well as the company’s launch and it’s been nothing but busy-ness and mounds of work.
Initially it was the whole relocation of the office. Followed by setting up all the equipment and computers in the new location, setting up internet access and phone systems… Already into two projects, while having delivered a few smaller revisions, I barely have time to breathe. Currently in pre-production of a shoot, and I’ve gotten thrown into a whirlwind of paperwork, e-mails and phone calls to take care of to assist the producer in sealing all the locations, finding extras, researching stock b-roll footage, and documenting all the payments and contracts. The whole thing is completely new to me, and being tossed right in the middle of the action is nerve wrecking.
It’s making me reconsider my career choice in a way. It’s overwhelming and I didn’t realize the extent of the complexity of the innerworkings. To be honest, I’ve never wanted to be a Producer or have to do the tasks a Producer does. They’re the anchor the sets up and coordinate everything. My current job for this project is assisting the Producer in everything, and I’m going crazy in all the tasks. I’ve always wanted to work post production, where you’re given all the footage, and then sit in a dark room for hours. I’m seeing what it takes to start up a production company and how a production takes place, and I’m not sure it’s something I will be able to do in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment