Monday, 16 May 2011

nixon in china 2

Nixon in China had its world premiere at Houston Grand Opera in 1987, followed quickly by performances at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts and Netherlands Opera. One of the major operas of the 20th century, Nixon in China has spawned numerous productions that have been received all over the world, and, along with Philip Glass’s Einstein on the Beach, is considered one of the cornerstones of American Minimalist music. By the coincidence I can see this opera and the big scale of show was really impressed me.
The main action of Nixon in China revolves around the five-day visit of Nixon, his wife Pat and the presidential entourage to a country that was seen as an impregnable Communist state, where free leaders would be expected to avoid. Goodman, to great effect ignores most of the ceremonial frivolities inherent in such a landmark meeting, and instead injects the opera with philosophical paradox and elegiac confessions, while suffusing the style with poetic couplets and those arresting moments of epiphany that would no doubt be present in such a monumental historic event. Adams makes excellent use of various devices in this -and some of his subsequent operas- like the chorus at the opening, the ballet entertainment that concludes the second act, and a Hamlet-like “mousetrap” that displays the division between spectators and performers in the form of a Communist agit-prop piece titles “The Red Detachment of Women.”
Before I studied stage craft when I saw the opera or performance, I just focused on their acting and the set. However, when I learned about lighting’s position and specialty of clothes I know about what makes the performance more perfect. These are all belong together; so just one part is not good than the audience easily recognized the show wasn’t perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment